They look like chocolate cookies!
They will keep you satisfied until lunch!
Alternative names: Gluten-free Dairy-free No-added-sugar Paleo Pancakes -or- Fabulous Flourless Fritters!
I’m always tweaking recipes to make them healthier. Some of my goals are to make them:
- nutrient dense
Anti-inflammatory is a goal as inflammation is a global epidemic that causes a myriad of health issues, including the one I battle. The medications to control inflammation often fall short.
Implementing an anti-inflammatory regimen will do wonders for your health.
Simple is a goal as those of us with serious/chronic illnesses need quick, simple, nutritious foods we can prepare because we often lack the energy and stamina to prepare more involved recipes.
The original recipe was called “Runners’ Pancakes” by athletes, as they boost energy for running. The original recipe was just a banana and an egg. My version includes even more delicious energy boosting, anti-inflammatory, super foods!
Great for breakfast or snacks or a pre-workout snack for athletes!
Good hot or cold!
But don’t eat them too late in the day, as they are energy boosters and may make it hard to fall asleep.
A note about coconut oil: it is not all created equal! Some brands are not yummy! Nutiva is yummy!
A note about eggs: free-range organic eggs are actually very good for you! Yolk and all! I will be blogging about the myths and many health benefits of eggs soon! Watch for it!
A note about cocoa: it’s really good for you! I was so excited to learn this as I LOVE chocolate!
- A ripe banana
- 2 free-range eggs
- 2-3 T cocoa powder
- 1/4-1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 T chia seeds
- Coconut oil
- Heat enough coconut oil to cover the bottom of your pan, liberally, over medium heat
- Mash banana on a plate with a fork
- Add cocoa and mix
- Whisk eggs in a bowl
- Add banana mixture
- Add nuts and seeds and whisk or stir
- Drop mixture into hot coconut oil, keeping them small: think silver dollar pancakes! I use a cookie dough scoop: 1-2 scoops per cake
- Cook 3-4 minutes and carefully flip, I usually use two spatulas as they are more delicate than traditional pancakes.
- Cook 2-3 minutes more
- Top with additional coconut oil, sliced bananas, nuts, and seeds. For a decadent treat/dessert, top with Nutiva Hazelnut Spread and raspberries – or top your own favorite toppers!
Just ‘Some’ of the Health Benefits:
- Bananas: energy booster, potassium, magnesium
- Cocoa: energy booster, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, blood vessel health
- Coconut oil: long list of health benefits including anti-inflammatory and increased energy
- Walnuts: energy booster, omega-3, anti-inflammatory
- Chia Seeds: energy booster, anti-iinflammatory
- Eggs: protein, omega-3’s, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, increased energy
Enjoy and follow my blog for more recipes and health tips. Adding new posts every week ♥️
Dr Mercola, Dr Axe