The answer is: actually everyone needs anti-inflammatory superfoods!
You can unknowingly have chronic inflammation for years before becoming symptomatic.
Chronic inflammation is an epidemic that leads to countless debilitating, painful and even life-threatening diseases. Many of them are auto-immune.
“It’s important to realize that dietary components can either trigger or prevent inflammation from taking root in your body. If you have not already addressed your diet, this would be the best place to start, regardless of whether you’re experiencing symptoms of chronic inflammation or not.” – Dr. Joseph Mercola
Implementing an anti-inflammatory superfoods regimen prior to symptoms is a very good lifestyle practice in an effort to avoid inflammatory health issues which can be extremely difficult to deal with once you become symptomatic.
“Anti-Inflammatory Foods Can Transform Your Health. Patients who consumed anti-inflammatory foods found enough relief that they were able to discontinue at least one of their medications. ” – Dr. Josh Axe
When I was pursuing my degree in holistic nutrition, I did in-depth research reports on anti-inflammatory superfoods & supplements; and auto-immune superfoods, I covered auto-immune superfoods recently and now I want to cover anti-inflammatory foods.
When I first started searching for anti-inflammatory foods and diets, it was unheard of! Now many books have been written on the subject and it’s a household term!
Pro-inflammatory foods to be aware of, cut out, cut back on
- Processed foods
- Processed white foods: flour and sugar and the foods that contain them: most baked goods – opt for organic, whole grain baked goods.
Top 15 vs My Extensive List
I have an extensive list of anti-inflammatory foods and herbs that I’ve researched and compiled, much too long for this blog, so I’m including here, The Top 15 according to Dr. Axe, with a few health benefits in addition to each one being anti-inflammatory.
And if you’d like my much longer list, an accumulation of many scientists and doctors lists, I will be happy to email it to you!
The Top 15 Anti-Inflammatory Superfoods (organic is best: GMO and pesticides make them pro-inflammatory!!)
- Dark Green Leafy Veggies: antioxidants, restores cellular health (hide in fruit/berry smoothies if you don’t like veggies! Watch for recipes!);
- Bok Choy: powerhouse of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals;
- Celery: improves blood pressure and cholesterol, heart health;
- Beets: repair cell damage caused by inflammation;
- Broccoli: antioxidant powerhouse, anti-cancer (hide in smoothies!)
- Blueberries: antioxidant powerhouse, improves cognitive and motor function;
- Pineapple: immune system health, fights blood clots, heart health;
- Wild Alaskan Salmon: omega-3, brain function (avoid farmed salmon at all costs!)
- Bone Broth: rich in minerals, heals leaky gut, fights colds and flues;
- Walnuts: protein, omega-3, brain/cognitive health;
- Coconut Oil: antioxidants, fights osteoporosis and colds and flues;
- Chia Seeds: increases energy, heart health, improves cholesterol and blood pressure
- Fresh Ground Flaxseed: omega-3, antioxidants, gut health, fights yeast and candida;
- Turmeric: reduces pain, gut health, diabetes;
- Ginger: immune system health, detox, painkiller.
Leave a comment if you’d like my extensive list of anti-inflammatory food options.
The way we eat is just part of the regimen. The way we exercise plays a role as well. Click on these links for more methods to combat inflammation:
- Exercise to reduce inflammation
- Aromatherapy/essential oils to reduce inflammation
- And check out my easy delicious anti-inflammatory recipes! And stay tuned for more!
I’ve included some links for some of my favorite anti-inflammatory foods, below! That’s a great deal on the coconut oil!
Note: This drug interaction checker is great to check supplement interactions with medications, go here.
Here’s to health ♥️
Harvard University, Dr. Josh Axe, Dr. Joseph Mercola